Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Golden Compass

New Line Cinema
2007
Rated PG-13

Summary: Lyra is an orphan that has lived her whole life amongst the scholars in Oxford.  She is intrigued when her uncle, Lord Asriel, announces his plans to travel to the north to investigate and prove the existence of a mythical particle known only in whispers as Dust.  She wants to accompany him in his travels, but is left behind until a mysterious woman, Mrs. Coulter, invites Lyra to travel to the north as her personal assistant.  Before leaving Oxford Lyra is given something by one of the scholars, an alethiometer, or golden compass, which helps her detect truth.  The adventure then begins in earnest when Lyra must learn who is telling the truth, the Magisterium (who rule the world), or the people she meets along her path.       

Similar Movies: Chronicles of Narnia, Spiderwick, Inkheart, and Stardust.

Personal Thoughts: I liked Philip Pullman’s Sally Lockhart book series, but had some reservations about reading or watching The Golden Compass because of the elements within the story that have caused great controversy.  I chose to watch rather than read, and was pleasantly surprised by the creative manner in which the movie was done.  It had a good plot, engaging, with good actors.  I sometimes did get the feeling that there was supposed to be something I should understand but didn’t, but overall the movie was fun and worth watching.  Very imaginative for young kids as well as tweens.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you didn't read as well as see the movie (totally ok btw)..... when the movie ended I turned to my husband and said "You have got to be kidding me!" to which most of the people in the theater laughed. I was highly irritated with the change at the end so I was quite loud. Yes there were things in the movie that were missing that you need the book to get - also things that remain mysterious until Book 3 that you wouldn't have understood anyways (Dust).
    I LOVE this series, but it does take on organized religion and in particular the Catholic church. I also had BIG problem with Book 3 on a number of levels (editing, character's choices).

    ReplyDelete